Hardware - Hard drive suspension to reduce vibrations


Anybody who has had hard drives whining and buzzing away in your pc case will know how damn irritating it is!

So, Ive devised a cheap, easy and effective way to suspend your drives. It may not be the best, but I looked around on other sites and decided to do one of my own.

Alot of the sites suggest using bungee cord which is a very effective dampener, but I didnt want to faff around with tying knots and I wanted it to look quite professional and easy to setup.

You'll need (all the stuff can be bought on ebay or diy stores):
  • 7mm Hex Screwdriver
  • 2.5mm Allen Key
  • 4x 10mm M4 Button Head Allen Bolts
  • 4x M4 Nylok Nuts
  • 4x 5mm Rubber Lined P-Clips (this was the most expensive, I got a pack of 20 for £6 off ebay, whereas in a motorbike shop, they wanted £3 for EACH!)
  • 2x Hairbands (approx 4.5cm in diameter and about 4mm thickness)

Assemble everything like so:


When you've screwed the bolts through the case and alls fitted, you can twist the bands and put the drive in and youre done!



I wanted to try to keep vibration to a minimum hench the use of rubber lined p-clips and nylok nuts to avoid self-unscrewing. The only problem I may have is the metal bit on the band might rattle on the top so I might tape it down. I didnt want it at the bottom in case it touches the live circuitry.

As drives may heat up as its no longer physically attached to the case which acts as a kind of heat sink, my next project is to fit aluminium heatsinks to the sides of the drives to cool.

Comments